It’s rare I come across a piece of furniture I really like. After moving I decided to take it upon my self to design something. I started with a rough set of dimensions of the corner I was placing it in. Originally I wanted something tall enough to stand at as well as sit but changed it because I couldn’t find any tall office chairs on craigslist. I knew I wanted something modular that I could modify if I needed to. I was thinking conduit but decided on 1/2 black steel tube for it’s strength, availability and variety. It was more expensive than I wanted to spend but anything less sturdy would make it useless.
I spent a week traveling back and forth from the local hardware. Testing various sizes of tube and combinations of placement. The hardest part was coming up with a way to keep the top of the desk flat while using a combination of pipe, wood and glass. I wanted the combination of wood and glass for a few reasons.
- The first being a completely wood desk would be boring.
- I wanted a way to take notes on the desk and be able to erase them.
- I needed a more secure way to hold the desk together than a couple screws
- My computer has sweet led lights on top of it and I wanted to mount the computer under the desk
- Makes it seem like it takes up less space
- Main section: 18″ tall
- Legs: 1″ – 18″
- Shelf height: 9″
- Shelf depth: 8″
- Width: 64″
- Depth: 29″